250gms of assorted berry (fresh or frozen)
1/2 tbsp of orange zest OR lemon zest
3 tbsp of orange juice
1/2 cup of plain flour
2tbsp of corn starch
1/2 cup of white sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar
100gms of butter (really cold!!)
a pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- In a large bowl mix the berries, white sugar (2 tbsp), brown sugar (2 tbsp), orange zest, orange juice, and cornstarch( add less sugar if the berry is sweet)
- Cut the butter using a knife to small pieces, make sure its very cold.
- Add the butter, plain flour , remaining brown and white sugar , pinch of salt and mix well
- The butter should be mixed well into the mixture, it should look like cookie crushed very coarsely
- In a baking tray smear butter generously and add the berry mixture as a base layer
- Add the butter-flour mixture on top as a 2nd layer.
- Sprinkle sugar on top for the extra crunch (optional)
- Bake for 25- 30 min till its golden brown on top
- Remove and rest it till it’s cooled, Cut into rectangular pieces
- Serve warm with Vanilla ice cream !!
Note: If you like the crumble to not be soft at the base from the fruits you could add more cornstarch so as the fruits cook and leave juices cornstarch absorbs and keeps the base firm.