3 Green apples
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
¼ teaspoon asafetida
¼ teaspoon turmeric
8-10 dry red chilli
¼ teaspoon methi seeds
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon jaggery powder
3 teaspoons oil
Water if required(2-3 teaspoons)
- In a pan separately dry roast Red chilli, methi, very little mustard seeds. Make a fine powder of all these. Keep aside.
- Cut green apple into small pieces (as you like it in pickle)
- Make a seasoning. Heat oil in a wok. Add the remaining mustard seeds and let it crackle . Add asafetida and fry for 10 sec.
- Add the chopped green apple in the wok and fry it for 4-5 minutes.
- Add turmeric and mix well.
- Add the spice powder on the green apple mixture , add salt , jaggery powder and mix well. Let it cook for another 5-6 min.
At this step add little water if required. It’s better to fry it in oil as it remains fresh for longer. If the green apples do not cook well add water and fry till the oil oozes out so the moisture content is removed totally.
- Let it cool and store it in glass jars. Stays fresh for a month.
If you don’t want the pickle too soft fry it for 3- 4 minutes less. Fry it less before adding the spices so you don’t have uncooked spices in your pickle.