10 lemons cut in quarters
A clean and thoroughly dried glass jar
Salt 5 tbsp
10 dried chill – byadige
5 dried chili – guntur
1/2 tbsp asafetida
1/2 tbsp fenugreek seeds
1/4 tbsp turmeric powder
1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
Oil for seasoning
- Add the Sliced lemons in a glass jar
- Squeeze 4-5 lemons into the jar and add it into the jar
- Add salt and mix well. Seal the jar
- Keep it in sunlight for 15 days mixing every two days in a clean and dry spoon
- After 15 days the lemons would have turned soft
- Dry roast chili, mustard, fenugreek seeds and make a fine powder
- Add turmeric to above mixture and mix with other spices
- Add the spice mixture between every layer of lemons
- Mix well make sure all the pieces of lemon is coated well
- Add some more lemon juice if needed
- Close the lid and leave it for another 15 days mixing occasionally with a clean and dry spoon
- After 15 days the pickle is soft and juicy
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard, asafetida . Remove from flame when mustard starts crackling and pour over the pickle.
- Allow it to cool and store it in Air tight container
Serve with meals!!
Tip: You can refrigerate the lemon mixture without adding the seasoning.
Add the seasoning (oil, mustard, asafetida) for small quantity as per use.