Bread (white or brown)1 loaf
1 cup grated carrot
2 small tomatoes finely chopped
1 large onion chopped finely
3 teaspoons butter/ghee to toast the bread
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon mustard
5 curry leaves chopped
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon sugar
A pinch of asafoetida
3-4 green chilli finely chopped
2 teaspoons of coriander chopped
Juice of Half Lemon
3 teaspoons oil
Salt to taste
1. In a large pan add oil and heat it. Add mustard seeds and let it crackle.
2. Add asafoetida, curry leaves , turmeric and fry for 30 sec.
3. Add Onions and fry till translucent (~ 3-4 minutes). After about a minute of frying add a pinch of salt and sugar for extra taste.
4. Add grated carrots , green chillies and fry for ~2 minutes
5. Add chopped tomatoes and fry for ~3 minutes
6. Add salt (as required) and chilli powder, mix well and fry for ~2 minutes.
7. Take off from flame and add lemon juice, coriander and mix well.
8. While the mixture is cooling. Heat a tawa and add little butter/ghee and slightly toast all the slices of bread both sides.
9. Add the vegetable mixture on the bread slices and serve!!
Note: Don’t add water to the above mixture. It should be dry.The juices in the vegetables should be enough to cook it.
Don’t overcook and make it like a gravy. Stop frying when the vegetables start wilting.