I always awaited the moment when they served these hot bondas in a marriage or other ceremonies 🙂 It still remains a favourite snack.
2 Potatoes boiled and mashed
1 small onion finely chopped
3 green chillies finely chopped
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon asafoetida
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 teaspoons coriander chopped
10 curry leaves
Oil to deep fry
Boiled Carrots,peas,beans together 1 cup
Juice of 1 lemon
Rice flour 3 teaspoons
Gram flour 1/2 cup
Red chilli powder 1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Ajwain (carom seeds)1/4 teaspoon
Makes around 12-14 bondas
1. In a wok add 3 teaspoons of oil and heat. Add mustard and let it crackle.
2. Add 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida, turmeric, green chillies,grated ginger,onions, tear and add the curry leaves.Fry till curry leaves,chillies,onion slightly wilt.
3. Add boiled potato,mix vegetables and combine everything.
4. Add salt and mix well. Let it cook on low flame for 3 minutes until everything is incorporated.
5. Take off flame add coriander and lemon juice, mix well and keep aside to cool.
6. Heat the oil to deep fry bondas.
7. For the batter. Combine rice flour,gram flour, ajwain seeds, salt to taste, red chilli powder, 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
8. Add 2 teaspoons of hot oil on the flour and make a smooth batter(no lumps) by adding little water at a time. Batter should be of consistency to coat a thick layer at the back of a spoon.
9. Make small balls of potato mixture and keep aside. Add a bit of oil on your palms if they are a bit sticky.
10. Dip the balls in the batter and drop it in hot oil carefully.
11. Fry till its golden brown and serve HOT!!