Peanuts (Kadlekai in Kannada)are among the healthiest and most cost-effective snack options available.
Did you know? Peanut is one of the most popular snacking items worldwide.
Congress masala, made using Congress kadlekai ,is very easy to prepare and hassle free chaat. Eating these spiced and tangy peanuts is sure to uplift your mood. In Karnataka,India it’s commonly sold in bakeries, train/bus stations to munch on your journey and in stores where they sell fried goodies. It’s extremely popular and eaten by all.
Facts say Peanuts have proteins, fibre, nutrients, anti-aging properties, etc etc..so why not eat them? (Some fun facts)
Who would even bother to ask for more when a bowl filled with goodness is handed over to you and said it’s healthy too.
To make Congress Kadlekai:
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon black pepper powder
½ teaspoon chat masala
½ teaspoon dry mango powder (optional)
10-15 curry leaves
¼ teaspoon asafoetida
Salt as required
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 Big pinch turmeric
1/8 teaspoon sugar (optional)
For congress masala:
1 small tomato finely chopped
1 small onion finely chopped
2 small carrots grated
2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander/cilantro
1 tablespoon grated raw mango (optional)
Juice of half lime/lemon
1/8 teaspoon of EACH – chilli powder, black pepper powder,chat masala
1 teaspoon of spicy mint chutney
Salt as required
To make congress kadlekai
- In a pan, dry roast peanuts till it’s a little charred on the outside.
- After the peanut are cooled completely , take a handful of peanuts and rub them between your palms to remove the skin and halve the nuts. You could alternately use a kitchen towel .
- Clean all the husk and separate the peanuts from it, keep aside.
- Heat oil in the same pan , add asafoetida,curry leaves and fry till the leaves turn crisp not burnt. Takes around 30 seconds.
- Add all the dry spices and fry for 5 seconds , add peanuts and remove off the flame , mix well. Use your hands to mix so as to get a uniform coating of the spices. While mixing crush the curry leaves, it enhances the flavour.
- Congress kadlekai is now ready to be relished !!!!!!!!
To make Congress masala
- In a large bowl add tomatoes, onion, carrots, mango and mix well.
- Add salt as required for veggies, spice powders OR chutney and combine everything.
- Add the peanuts, cilantro, lime juice and give it a mix
Serve immediately when the peanuts are crisp.( in a cone for authentic feeling …)
Your heart will go all nuts eating these peanuts.
To make the congress masala , depending on whether you add mint chutney or dry spices, the taste is going to be different but both are equally good.
I prefer using spice powders so the main taste will be from peanuts and not chutney.
For a “good” congress masala, the key is to keep the veggies less and to add more peanuts.
The kadlekai(peanuts) can be stored for 8-10 days, after that the crispness is lost and it doesn’t taste good.If refrigerated, a couple of days more (~15 days)