This Ice cream BOMB explodes in your mouth, flooding the tongue with pure splendor, the layers of ice cream melts away with tidbits of cake in between, the taste and feeling is nothing short of heaven.
If you are familiar eating ice creams with cake this would be interesting to try. I could only remember eating Cake fudge (black forest cake with vanilla ice cream and hot choc sauce )which is a part of the menu in many Ice cream joints. But this was kind of exceptional as it was coupled already and nothing extra had to be drawn together to make it complete.
This recipe (or idea)is more of just assembling everything together. Except if you want to make the swiss roll , icecream/sorbets yourself.
It looks like a lot of effort should go into making this but it will surprise you with its simplicity.
The only pain point in this recipe is the resistance to wait while the pretty layers of ice-cream are setting.
The Blend of Soft and delightful ice creams with cake is pure Joy!!!!!
This recipe does not have exact measurements because it depends on the size of the container used and the thickness/ number of layers of ice cream needed.
The measurement(roughly) given below is the one I used .
- 2 packs of strawberry jam swiss roll or swiss roll of your choice
- 2 cups slightly softened ice-cream/sorbet(1st flavor for layer-1 )
- 1 cup slightly softened ice-cream/sorbet(2nd flavor for layer-2 )
- 1/2 cup slightly softened ice-cream/sorbet(3rd flavor for layer-3 )
- Plastic wrap to fit the container used and a little more to leave it hanging at the sides.
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 3 round bottom freezer safe container of alternate(decreasing)sizes.
Serves: 8-10 wedges depending on the size you like 😉
- Cut the swiss roll to a little less than 1/2 inch thick slices (you will need around 15 slices)
- Take the largest container you are using and line it with plastic wrap with excess hanging on either side so you could unmould the cake easily.
- Place the slices in the container starting from the bottom and covering the sides. Do not overlap the slices, small gaps can be covered with small pieces of the cake.
- Drizzle the orange juice on the cake so it doesn’t dry out too much when frozen.
- Take the 1st flavor of ice-cream and smear gently on the cake layer till all the slices are covered and a thick layer is formed. If the ice cream seeps through the cake roll its NO Problem.Its suppose to be doing that 😉
- Place the 2nd container in the center. If it fits loose add some more ice cream , if its too much ice cream you can leave as is or remove some. (If you are too keen to keep the layers even throughout pay more attention otherwise do it approximately )
- Put it in the freezer overnight or at least 6 hours.
- After freezing overnight, wet a clean kitchen towel in hot water and squeeze well. Place the towel in the 2nd container for 2-3 minutes and you can pull out the container easily. If you forcefully try pulling out the bowl the layers are disturbed ,so be careful.
- Smear the 2nd layer of ice cream and place another bowl to fit in and freeze for 6 hours.
- Repeat till the last layer and fill the complete hollow portion and smoothen the top.
- Optional: Close the top with another layer of cake roll so that the ice cream doesn’t melt quickly when sliced.
- After the whole ice cream cake is set enough invert it on a plate and remove the plastic wrap gently. Ice cream BOMB is ready to EXPLODE.
I made this BOMB with 4 layers to mark the completion of 4 years of our marriage . I used Vanilla swiss roll with strawberry jam filling, Vanilla ice cream,Framboos (Raspberry)sorbet and Mango sorbet.
You can go wild in choosing the flavors of ice cream and number of layers you wish to have.Sorbets, ice creams or a mix of both(as i did) would be wonderful.
- Sorbets are a bit more difficult to handle as their texture is much softer, so eat it quick! It also takes longer to set than ice creams.
- For a faster process: If you want you could assemble all the layers at once but it would result in a bit of marble effect. If you are OK with it you could do it.
- Based on the flavors you use (like lemon, framboos(Raspberry),rhubarb etc..)you can get a slight tartness to the dessert. Which is also splendid.